Friday, July 22, 2016

The first month of rainy season, but I was enjoying the rain elsewhere

Whenever it’s been a long time between blog posts, it can only mean one of two things: either there was nothing new to report or I was too busy to write. In this case it is the latter.

The month of June was a mini mile stone for me. My second hot season was officially over, and it could be my last one in country. From June onwards, I can only be grateful for the upcoming weather. Rain until October and cold weather until March. This for me is great news and brings a smile to my face. No more endless sweating!

I had a few tastes of rain during the month of June, but before the rains picked-up I left Burkina Faso for the second time during my service. Off to Europe I was to see my family for the first time in 18 months. Needless to say, it was a very happy time filled with tasty food, good conversation and fun activities. We first hiked the Dolomite Mountains in Italy for 3 days before heading to Biarritz in south-west France. There we surfed, chilled and ate fresh French cuisine.


First meal: steak


Taking in the green up in the Dolomite Mountains 

I am very gracious of my parents for organizing this trip. Our family has taken many vacations before, but this one was specifically to see me and award me with a two-week hiatus from Africa. It was nice being back with them in a new place where we got to explore and do fun things. My French speaking skills came in handy. I’m nowhere near fluent but I know now that I can manage myself if I find myself in France again.


Not the Venice that I'm used to, but I'll take it 


Could be x-mas card worthy. 

With my mental batteries recharged for the final 7 months in country, I headed back to BF July 9th. I was in village for a quick week before heading to my regional capital ready to run our annual “Youth Leadership Conference”. I had been planning this conference since January and it was finally time to make it happen.


A gift I got for my Village Chief. He thanked me for about 2 minutes then just started reading. 


During my week at site we did one of our first big moringa leaf harvests. The rains make these trees grow fast! (Here you see our moringa plants, we cut them at the base and they re-sprout again)


Drying the leaves in our nifty drying rack. Afterwards, we pound, sift and then pound some more and then voila...moringa powder is all ready.

I can tell you one thing for sure: planning an entire conference, with all of its logistics, organization and moving parts ain’t no easy thing. Very stressful in fact. Luckily I had plenty of help along the way to ease the burden. I was originally planning this conference with a fellow PCV until they were medically evacuated, leaving me in charge as the only organizer. Our PC Bureau and other local counterparts obviously played a crucial role, helping me navigate through this daunting event and ultimately achieving our goals.


 Leadership and Active Youth Citizen Conference

The 25 student participants arrived on Sunday, the 18th and just left today after a 4 day conference. The goal of this conference was to invite already motivated youth from all over Burkina Faso to get together and learn how to become leaders in their communities. Each session was geared towards preparing students to transmit their newly acquired knowledge back to their village/high-school members, whether it was a health training on mosquito net transformations or a financial literacy session to how to save one’s money.


Our female participants making menstrual pads out of locally available materials. Tampons don't exist in the village and this is a hygienic, affordable alternative. 


Mosquito net reparations using cool designs. I spy a star, fruit and Burkina Faso outline.

Fortunately, we got through the 4 days without any major problems. The students were deeply versed on a variety of health/well-being topics, entrepreneurship and also career planning. Most of the students at this conference, however smart or advanced in their studies, came from secluded villages without much exposure to the outside world. Giving them this opportunity to travel across the country, meet other Burkinabé students and collaborate together in this unique setting provided them with an invaluable experience which can surely change their lives.


We had a very special guest speaker who talked our students about people with disabilities. He is a very accomplished Burkinabe: he heads many associations, just got his university degree in law and is heading to France to get a Masters in Human Rights! His way of motivating the youth..."If I can get where I am now without any legs or arms, what's your excuse?"


We invited local professionals to speak to the youth on the final day. Our mini version of a career fair.


All of the student participants. 25 in total.


With the 3 students that I brought from my village. Can't wait to do some trainings with them back in Ramsa!

Finally now I can rest easy, head back to village and start farming. This year I’ll be doing my own little plot of soybeans while also planting a bunch of trees in our garden space. Rainy season is a peaceful time for me when I’m immersed in nature and get to work all day with my hands.

Until next time,


MB

1 comment: